Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday...

Today T2 and I went into Toronto to help out at a waterstation for the Toronto Marathon. Our allotted volunteer time was 10:30 - 2:30pm. Which posed a dilemma because we also had to do a 20 long run. So the dilemma was whether we should do the run before or after. Before, we would have to get up painfully early for a Sunday, but then the run would be done. If we did it after, we could take our time in the morning, sleep in etc, but then we would have to come home after and run. Thankfully, we chose to do the run at 7am, before heading downtown.

When I woke up this morning, before I even got out of bed, I could tell it was cold. My house was chilly (14C to be exact) and when I looked at the thermometer outside, it was a 0C. Yep, that's what I call freezing ;o)

So out came the hat, gloves etc. I managed to refrain from the thermals because I knew I would be hot if I wore them, but it was very tempting. Met T2 at the corner, and we were off. What a beautiful morning! We caught the sunrise, and even managed to see a fox (or maybe it was a coyote?) in a field. I love early morning runs.

So 20k done by 9am, and then we headed downtown. Our water station was at 40k, which anyone who has done a marathon knows is a tough spot. As a runner, you're exhausted, ready for it to be over, and at that point 2k seems like an awfully long distance. So we did our best to cheer people along, help them out, give them encouragement etc. It was such a great experience and I'm really glad I got the chance to do it. I have always appreciated people that come out and help on race day and finally I was able to do it myself.

By the time I got home at around 3:00pm, I was exhausted. So I've been dragging my ass around trying to get things done, but have not been very successful. After a fully packed and thoroughly enjoyable weekend, I think it will be an early night for me!

No comments: